The Connective is a teacher owned and led cooperative powered by community. We aim to provide a sustainable livelihood for yoga and movement professionals while raising industry standards on quality, diversity, anti-racism, and accessibility. We offer students an online space to explore movement, build community, and connect to the power of self-acceptance and transformation.
How we’re changing the industry and building impact:
- We resist the racist cultural appropriation of yoga by centering BIPOC and are guided by the eight limbs and the philosophical teachings of the practice.
- We increase accessibility by carefully considering our language, pricing, education, offerings and tech choices through an antiracist and anticapitalist lens.
- We advocate for fair labor practices and believe that workers building a business deserve to be fairly compensated and own what they are creating.
- We believe every worker deserves a voice. Our business is led by a democratically elected Steward’s Council, ensuring that everyone has a say and power.
- We build our community through mutual respect and transparency. 85% of class earnings at The Connective go straight to the teacher. 15% is invested into our shared business.
Why we offer multiple modalities of movement:
We acknowledge that the type of movement each of us might need on any given day, and throughout our lives, changes.
We understand that varying our movement intake to include a variety of activities can offer us great benefits––physically, mentally and emotionally.
Honoring yoga is respecting that yoga is more than asana, the physical poses. It is a spiritual practice not meant to exist as your sole mode of movement.